Tuesday, 8 September 2009,
We had a rather special CT period yesterday. We had our very first CT investiture, the very first I heard of in my years of service in the "industry". I was very pleased by that at first. After so many years as a class chairperson, I always feel that class chairpersons are not given enough recognition and their work are mostly being belittled. Although no longer a class chairperson, I was very glad that the day has come for such recognition.
Sad to say though, on the day itself, the smile on the face was wiped off very quickly. The chair and vice chairpersons were wearing a T-shirt with a SWAT at the back. Fanciful at first sight, then we started asking what does SWAT means? "Sai-gang Warrior Action Team". I almost fainted when I heard it. Lols
So instead of going up to be honoured as head of class, they are actually going up to announce that they are members of SWAT. Firstly, I feel that to earn the respect as a class leader, one must not only have the capabilities, have the trust and co-operation of the class, but also to view their role as a class leader as crucial. Maybe I am too serious about such investiture, however I believe that every role must be treated with respect and we must give it our best and more, including not to belittle it.
Next, is the job of the class chairpersons and vice-chairpersons really shit? Miscelleanous and mostly administrative, nevertheless important as they set the foundation for many other things to be done. It is a form of servant leadership, and it is noble as how the class runs actually depend on their guidance. Hence, calling it "Sai-gang" is a bit negative. There are various form of leadership, just that the class leaders happen to fall into the "service sector".
On the whole, the whole investiture is not bad. As it is the first, there are bound to be room for improvements. It is a fantastic idea to have such investiture, and I have enjoyed it to a certain extent... ...
21:00