Went back for parade today. Took the Sec 3 squad, used to be the one I'm training. Quite surprised to see how standards had fell. Maybe my standard for them had raise over this time. They are becoming CLs, or what I prefer to call, NCOs soon. Yet, I came back quite disheartened and sad...
1) We had usual uniform check. Since I left and returned last parade, I realised that more than half of the squad have not been keeping their uniform in condition. Unpolished badges, belts and boots made me irritated. NPCC, to me, starts from the uniform itself. Keeping them in good (I am not emphasising on tip-top)condition shows that the cadet is proud of the CCA.
2) Cadets have been absent throughout last year. They returned. I am very glad. But, because the squad's taking over soon, I wish to see them having equal standards and discipline. Constant reminders and nagging made me quite irritated, so I have to be fierce. Hopefully they know, I am not picking on them...
3) It has been a year almost a year since I stepped down. Because of the many factors, I have become rather close friends with the squad. Although I wish to stick around with them, I feel that I cannot take the squad. Firstly, my commands are a bit outdated. Secondly, it is hard to keep the discipline. Look at today, fidgeting in the squad after constant reminders. I am sorry I have to shout at you guys. It is very hard for me to shout at the squad. I feel extemely uncomfortable. I cannot bring myself to scold, punish the squad. Yet, I must do so, because I really want to see them succeed. =/
4) A campcraft re-test today shows where the squad's standard lies. Boys still have a bit of organisation problem and the tent built was on the verge of collapse. I feel bad personally. I had been a cadet with rather poor campcraft skills. Wee Kiat is a pro. He was IC for the squad's campcraft. But, due to many factors and our negligence before we step down, we seldom touch campcraft at all. Hopefully the squad will understand, we keep telling them their mistakes is not for demoralising, but for them to remember and learn...
Many tough things coming up. But a diamond needs to go through lots of processes before it can shine. I really wish that the Sec 3 will continue to work hard. You guys have unintentionally become a group of people I cannot live without...